Today, June 8th, is World Ocean Day
The theme for 2022 is Revitalization: Collective Action for the Ocean.
WIN A PROTECT HECTOR’S MEMBERSHIP
To celebrate World Ocean Day we are giving away a Protect Hector’s Membership to one lucky winner.
Entries open June 8th only. Winner selected June 9th.
WORLD OCEAN DAY PANEL DISCUSSION
Our friends at Blue Cradle invite you to join them for an exciting World Ocean Day panel discussion this evening at the University of Canterbury from 5.30-8.00pm.
The event is free of charge and will also be live streamed so you can join in person or from the comfort of your own home.
Aimed for students, professionals and the general public, they will engage with experts and leaders in the marine stewardship space.
From climate change impacts to ocean finance, Indigenous knowledge, ocean literacy education, conservation, regeneration, the upcoming UN Ocean Conference and the Blue Economy, they will explore how to grow awareness and revitalization for the 71%.
LOCATION: University of Canterbury, James Logie building, 6th floor, room 613.
(limited numbers apply for in-person, otherwise select “live stream” and a link will be sent to you 24 hours before the event)
Organized by Blue Cradle in collaboration with the National Centre for Research on Europe (NCRE), this event is supported by the New Zealand National Commission for UNESCO. Speakers will include representatives from nonprofit organizations, the scientific community, mana whenua, multilateral organisations and local government.
Event moderated by Steven Moe, Partner, Parry Field Lawyers and Founder of Seeds Podcast
Welcome address – Martin Holland, Director, NCRE/UC
- James Nikitine, Founder/Director, Blue Cradle Foundation, Co-Chair, EU4Ocean Platform, EU4Ocean Coalition, European Commission
- Dr. Carol Mutch, NZ National Commission for UNESCO, Education Commissioner
- Professor Steven Ratuva, Director, Macmillan Brown Centre for Pacific Studies, University of Canterbury
- Anthony Powell, Filmmaker, Antzworks
- Yvette Couch-Lewis, Tumu Taiao, Environment Canterbury/Te Hapū o Ngāti Wheke, Ngāi Tahu
- Dr. Vivian Cumbo, Senior Program Manager at Great Barrier Reef Foundation – Resilient Reef
Discover more about World Ocean Day visit their website here
Learn more about Blue Cradle visit their website here
Read more about our Protect Hector’s membership and education programme click here